Monday, February 2, 2009

Camp X Book Report

Camp x:  Eric Walters

Aaron Carr

 

            Throughout the novel “Camp X” George and Jack get themselves into a whole lot of trouble because of their curiosity.  The book takes place in Whitby, Ontario in 1943. It is mid summer and their father is at war fighting the Nazi army.  As they running around in the local fields around their house the stumbled upon what looked like an army base.  When they first saw the base they were very curious and explored for a bit.  While they were snooping around thy were caught by one of the guards.  Seeing as though the base was a secret and was not suppose to be known about by the general public the boys were severely punished.  Once they are released from their grounding they are obviously curious being 12 and 14 so they go back.  As they sneak around more and more they get to learn about the place better and they soon figure out that it is a top secret Canadian spy camp. 

 

            The author of the novel used suspense very very well in this novel.  When the boys were creeping around the camp I felt like I was in a third person view of them.  I could sense all the danger that they could and it was so real.  He also would drag out all the smallest details and describe the area very well.  Mr. Walters also went into great detail about the boys and how they felt about their punishment and such.  Being a similar age to these boys I was able to feel for them and I was able to relate.  With the amount of detail and my knowledge of being that age I was able to feel the same way as the boys and I could share the same feelings.  This made the book very interesting to read and allowed me to be much more involved as a reader and therefore kept me turning the pages.

 

            “I’m ok… I smashed up my hands, but I’m ok,… I think, but there is no way I can get up.  He rolled back and forth on his back.” Pg 187

In this little blurb about the book the reader can tell many things.  Obviously something has gone wrong and someone got hurt.  This also brings suspense, questions are asked by the reader.  What happened?, is he ok?, how will they get you? And what is going to happen next?  This makes the reader want to continue and find out what happens next. 


“I pulled one knob and the windshield wipers sprung to life.  Desperatly I grabbed another knob and the lights came on.” Pg 219

            The detail in this passage used to describe the windshield wipers is very descriptive.  The second sentence starts with desperately.  This makes the reader think that they are being chased or something.  They are in a hurry so they want to leave quickly.  Again suspense is raised and the reader’s attention is captured and glued to the book.

No comments: